Creating new teams is a lot of fun. You've grabbed John Kipling Lewis's guide to building new players out of the Oberwald and you've put your team together, but the final question remains .... is the team balanced. What follows is a set of guidelines ... some guidelines are checks on reasonableness, others are guidelines that should rarely if ever be broken.
Guideline/Checklist for building new Teams
Special Notes on Big Guys:
These Team Balancing rules are for normal teams (not Big Guy teams) also do not include Big Guy allies as part of a team when creating a new team ... if you are creating a NEW Big Guy ally for your team just make sure to follow these guidelines:
- Big Guy AG+ST <= 7
- Player cost should not exceed 130k
- Player should have one Negative trait but not more than one. Always Hungry is fluff and does not count as having a Negative trait. You can have a Negative trait and Always Hungry at the same time.
- No Big Guy players should start with having Block, Claw, Razor Sharp Claws, or any Agility Based skills. Frenzy should only be allowed if the player also has Wild Animal.
- Players should have access to General and Strength skill (maybe Physical also)
- An Big Guy's computed cost should not be greater/less than 17.5k from its actual cost and should not exceed 130k in cost.
- A team should have access to only one Big Guy unless it is has all Stunty players (2 Big Guys allowed) or all Titchy players (4 Big Guys allowed)
Normal Team Building Guidelines
Breaking these guidelines to build a team should be rare and critical to the team concept and playstyle.
1) The Cost Formula:
2) AG and ST at 4+:
- Use Jervis's Cost formula (see explanation below)
3) Skill and Traits:
- a) A team with ST 4+ may not have any AG 4+ players and vice versa.
- b) Teams with 3 or more ST 5 players on the roster may have a maximum of 4 players with ST<5 and ST+AG=6 AND no players with ST<5 and ST+AG=7.
- c) No player's ST+AG should exceed 7.
- d) Player types with 8+ allowed players are limited to a maximum ST of 3.
4) Max/Min Player Cost:
- a) No player should have more than 7 points worth of positive value skills
- b) No player position with ST 4+ OR (ST 3 with more than 2 players allowed) on the team roster should have Claw or Razor Sharp Claws.
- c) Players with Stunty should not have ST+AG over 5 and players with Titchy should not have ST+AG over 4.
- d) No player with ST 4 should have either Block or Dodge.
- e) No player with ST 5 should have either Block or any Agility based skill.
- f) The number of players on the team starting with both Block and Dodge should not exceed 4.
- g) Normal players should never have a negative trait.
- h) No more than two ST 4 players should have Frenzy on a team. Non Big Guy ST 5 players should not have Frenzy.
5) Max. # of 100k+ players:
- a) No player should cost more than 130k or less than 30k
6) Stat Maximums:
- a) The total cost of players with costs of 100k or more should not exceed 450k.
7) Lineman must be cheap:
- a) No player should have Movement over 9, Agility over 4, Strength over 5, or Armour over 10.
8) Max. # of Non-linemen:
- a) If you have a position with 8+ players, it must be 10k less in cost than any other position on the roster.
9) Player Discount Factor - Non-Lineman:
- a) The number of players in the single non-lineman positions (Lineman=0-8, 0-12, or 0-16) are limited to 10 slots in total.
- a) An individual player's computed cost should not be greater/less than 17.5k from its actual cost.
These guidelines are more frequently broken to develop a different style team and concept. However, breaking these guidelines, while more acceptable, should still be very limited.
10) Player Discount Factor - Linemen:
11) Number of Team Positions:
- a) Any player position that can have 6 or more slots on the team should not have a computed cost greater or less than 5k from its actual cost.
12) Max. Number of Allowed Lineman positions:
- a) Team Rosters should not have more than 4 player positions.
13) # of Players allowed and Cost Increments:
- a) No player position should exceed 16 players, only one player position on the roster should have 8+ players, and no team should have more than two 6+ player positions.
14) 60k Team Discount Ceiling and 0k Floor:
- a) Allowed number of players for a position should be 0-2, 0-4, 0-6, 0-8, 0-12, 0-16.
- b) All player costs should be in even 10k increments.
- a) After each player's difference between actual and computed is determined multiply that number by the number of player slots allowed for that position. Then add up all the player position's discount factor for the team to get the team discount factor (do not include Big Guy allies). This factor should not exceed 60k for any new team (if your discount factor exceeds 60k then you have underpriced the team and need to raise some prices). Likewise, the factor should not be negative (less than 0k), if it is you might want to lower some of your player's costs. If you are above 60k or below 0k, recheck your complaince with guidelines #8 and #11.
To calculate an individual player's discount factor use the following:
Jervis Johson Blood Bowl Player Cost Formula
|All models start with 5 points, to which
is added the following
MA 2 = -4
MA 3 = -3
MA 4 = -2
MA 5 = -1
MA 6 = 0
MA 7 = +2
MA 8 = +3
MA 9 = +4
+ / - ((ST - 3) * 3)
plus a further 3 points if the ST > 3
plus yet another 3 points if ST > 6
AV 5 = -4
AV 6 = -3
AV 7 = -2
AV 8 = 0
AV 9 = 1
AV 10 = 3
+ / - ((AG - 3) * 2)
a further 1 point if AG > 3 and ST > 3
SKILLS & THINGS
see below for costs
Cost In GPs
Right, having got the points value you can convert it
into a cost for the player.
If the points value is 10 or less, then the players value
GPS = pts * 10,000
If the points value of the player is 11 or more, then
the players value is:
GPS = 100,00 + ((points - 10) * 5,000)
The point values for skills, traits, and racial characteristics are all 2 points each each except the following:
0 point skills: Spikes (include only the points for the AV increase)
1 point skills: Frenzy, Horns, Leap (AG 3 or less), Pass (AG 3 or less), Right Stuff, Stunty, Thick Skull, Throw TeamMate, Very Long Legs (the MA AFTER VLL should be used for the MA points above in addition to this point)
3 point skills: Big Hand, Block, Claw, Dauntless, Foul Appearance, Guard, Leader, Multiple Block, Razor Sharp Claws, Regeneration, Stand Firm, Strong Arm, Tentacles, Titchy
1 point bonus: Players starting with both Block and Dodge.
Negative traits are all -2 points except the following:
-1 point trait: Always Hungry
-3 point traits: Off for a Bite, Really Stupid, Take Root
Finally how do the official 15 teams fit into the guidelines as a comparison ... I'll list the teams/players that break the guidelines (if you'd like a graphic look at the 15 official teams using the cost formula, click here:
- #1) None
- #2) None
- #3) None except for 3a which is broken by Wood Elf (Wardancers) and Dwarf (Troll Slayer) since each have 8 points of skills
- #4) None
- #5) Only the Dark Elf team with 620k in 100k postional player break this rule.
- #6) None
- #7) None
- #8) Orcs have 14 positional slots
- #9) None
That said, if you look at the above the guidelines are as close to
matching the official teams as you can get. Very quickly, I'll run
down the exceptions:
- #10) Dwarf (Longbeard 10k), Chaos Dwarf (Hobgoblin -10k), Undead (Zombie 10k), Halfling (-10k), and Norse (Lineman 10k)
- #11) Undead and Orcs with 5 roster positions
- #12) Undead with 2 positions with 8+ players
- #13) None
- #14) Amazon (-20k), Dwarf (160k), High Elf (80k), Chaos Dwarf (-70k), Undead (160k), Halfling (-160k), Norse (140k)
#4) It is commonly agreed that if the Wardancer and Troll Slayer were being proposed as players today that both would have a difficult time becoming official. This Important guideline break by these two players is a very real exception and one that should raise concern if found on a new team.
#5) This exception was the result of an LRB rule change and is clearly still an exception to the general rule.
#8) Orcs have 14 positional slots only because 0-4 Goblins were official added to the roster (and we could debate where these guys are really postional or just a lineman exception).
#11 and #12) The Undead team has two lineman positions and the Orcs
are allowed Goblins as roster players. Because of these two definite
exceptions to the norm, they show up as guideline break ... which in
reality they are.
That leaves #10 and #14:
Or put another way, I think the method is as close as you can get to
a guidelines for team building because almost no teams or players break the first 9 Important rules and the official GW team exceptions to the guidelines can be linked to only nine items:
- Dwarves were given the Block skill for 2 points and the Norse for 2.5 points instead of normal 3 points that other players pay for Block. As such their lineman are underpriced by 10k which breaks the normal 5k barrier on lineman on other teams. The below cost Block lineman also cause these teams to have overruns on total discount on #14.
- The BB2k1 change to allow 0-4 Lion Warrior gave the High Elf team
an extra 20k of discount pushing them in exception territory which
they weren't before BB2k1.
- Both Hobgoblins and Halfings were meant to be overcosted players
by design. The fact that they both cost 10k more than computed is
deliberate but still an exception.
- For whatever reason, the Amazon team is the only team that uses 2 points for Pass on an AG 3 player instead of the normal 1 point. Everyone else on the Amazon team is priced equal to their computed, so she caused the negative discount for the team.
- Finally the Undead, the Zombie breaks 4 rules for the team building guidelines by himself (#10,#11,#12,#14). He computes at 40k and I've seen net teams like Milo's Halloweenies were he is costed at 40k, but officially he's 30k, so throwing him into the pile created 80k of extra discount and the LRB bump to 0-4 Wights added 30k more which accounts for the extra discount in the team.
1) Wood Elf Wardancer
2) Dwarf Trollslayer
3) Undead Zombie
5) Chaos Dwarf Hobgoblin
6) Amazon Thrower
7) LRB increase to 0-4 Lion Warriors for High Elves, 0-4 Wights for Undead, and 0-4 Blitzers for Dark Elves
8) Goblins on Orc team
9) Block at 2 points for Dwarves and 2.5 points for Norse instead of the normal 3 points.