MBBL2 League Rules
Please note: the MBBL2 is a Play By E-mail league (PBeM) an average game requires about two to four weeks to play. Please note that the MBBL2 is currently full, if you like I will put you on a waiting list for the next available opening in the league.
Click here to see the teams order of their ranking with team and game status for both current season (Season 3) and lifetime record.
Click here to see the top 5 league players for each of the skill point categories for this season and lifetime. SPECIAL THANKS to Ian W for putting this together for the league.
Click here to see the stats of all the races of the MBBL2 since we started.
Click here to see the results of Season 1 of the MBBL2.
Click here to see the results of Season 2 of the MBBL2.
The League Rules:
- The league will be using the Living RuleBook 2.0 rules as released for free on http://www.bloodbowl.com in December 2002 with the following CHANGES: (Don't have the current 2.0 edition rules ... Click Here and then click on Living Rule Book.)
- No Aging method will be used.
- Dauntless is a skill.
- Star Players are NOT allowed and no Freebooted Wizards
- You may Jump Up at the beginning of a Pass Block move.
- Players with lost tackle zones may not assist a block and may not try to intercept or catch the ball.
- Dead players may not earn the MVP for the match.
- Foul Appearance does not work while prone/stunned.
- Players using the throw-in template for movement can aim it diagonally.
- Apothecaries can be used on Ball and Chain players
- Niggling Injuries are rolled for before each half (not just before the game). Using an Apothecary to heal a Niggle in a earlier half does not cancel the need for the Niggle roll before the beginning of a subsequent half.
- Take Root has been moved to an On-Pitch effect. Before taking an action with a player with this
characteristic that is neither prone or stunned, roll
a D6. On a 2+, he is fine and may continue his action
as normal. On a 1, he takes root into the pitch and
loses his action for this turn. In addition, for the
rest of the drive, no actions may be taken with this
player and he has no Tackle Zone. If he had the ball,
he'll drop it and it will scatter one square causing a
turnover if not caught by another member of your
- I plan on running this league for quite a while going forward and I currently plan on also allowing teams to continue to play and build from one league season to the next.
- The New 4th edition got rid of Special Play cards, but we allow one or two in for flavor. Spellcaster can help you get a Magic Item card, Assistant Coaches can get a Pre-Match Prep or Dirty Trick card, and Cheerleaders can produce a Grab Bag or Random Event card .... otherwise a revised BB2k1 edition Handicap chart will be used.
- We will be using all the following house rules for the MBBL2.
- There are 77 different teams allowed in the league. The rules for each team is on the main site under the Official/Unoffical teams link in the columns GW Official teams and MBBL2 allowed teams. You have the standard 1,000,000 gold to build a rookie team. Please note that because of the expanded list of teams available you may want to check out the MBBL/MBBL2 Ally table as well.
- Under the reference section, you will find a list of all the skills that you may choose from when a player gets a skill roll. There are a few new ones and some skills that cause severe problems during PBeM have been changed (like Shadowing, Side Step, and Diving Tackle).
- Secret Weapons are permitted in the league, and they may be purchased only when a player is purchased. Each team roster shows the secret weapons that the team or its allies may use. Remember Casualties caused by Secret Weapons do not count for star player points just like fouls. Secret Weapon players may earn star player points otherwise.
- Star Players and Off Pitch Wizards will not be allowed in the MBBL2.
- Certain bribes and payoff between players will be permitted. Like offering your opponent to pay you 10k to not Peak his best player. HOWEVER, every such deal needs to be approved by the League Commissioner as there are a lot of these types of transactions that I will NOT allow. Example, you cannot bribe your opponent to throw the match (an opponent must either forfeit or play to his best ability ... standing aside to let a player rack up touchdowns will not be permitted in this league.) I've seen a lot of these types of deals in other On-line leagues and I don't want it in my league ... nuff said on that.
The League Structure:
- There will one Division. Every coach can submit ONLY one teams for the MBBL2.
- Since this is a PBeM league, the season will be 5 four-week (20 business day) periods. Each four-week period will be one game. Teams will be assigned their opponent for the next four week period by the League Commissioner based on a formula that places the best teams based on the team's lifetime and season record against each other.
- You are allowed to not play during ONE four-week period (for things like family vacations.) A team must have played four games to be considered for the play-offs.
- Any game not finished at the end of a four-week period will be called due to time. Whoever is in the lead will be the winner. Note: coaches who delay games to try to win by time being called will be removed from the league.
- I will be using the World Chess league Strength of Schedule point system to track the leaders. At the end of the five games, the top four teams in each division will advance to the play-offs. The number 1 seed in each division will play the number 4 seed and seeds 2 and 3 will play also. The winners will play for the Division Championship who will then play for the League Championship. The League Champion team will be given a free Trophy Re-roll and an amount of gold specified in the prizes below to use next season if the team returns. (PLEASE note: a coach may only have ONE team in the final 8, if for some reason both of a coach's teams make the final eight, the team may choose with team will advance to the finals.)
- Any team not making the final eight may play in a Scramble. The two teams that score the most star player points (not including MVPs) will receive special cash rewards. (Note: I will review the logs for these games and teams that work together to just score touchdowns will be denied all star player points earned from the game and not be allowed into the finals.) I want the two HONEST best performing teams in the Scramble finals.
- If a player does not take his turn within two days of you sending your turn to him (without having notified you in advance that this would happen), please resend your turn to him along with a request for confirmation of receiving the file. If after one more day, you have not heard from your opponent, e-mail me at work (firstname.lastname@example.org). If after 48 hours of my trying to contact him, I have not heard from your opponent, the game will be forfeit and the player still playing will be given the victory ... in addition, you will be given all the items listed in the new BB2k1 concession rules AND credit for enough touchdowns (assigned to random players) to give you a 1 touchdown lead AND one Random Event special play card. (See the BB2k1 rules for the other effects of a concession). If a team cannot field more than 3 players for any given drive during a match, they may choose to conceed (but it is not required). In the case of less than 3 players, the opponent will get all the benefits above, but the loser will also get their gold and MVP (however, the conceding coach still automatically loses one point of fan factor).
- In order to speed up the games and make sure that the pre-game stuff is handled confidentially, the League Commissioner will use an automated sequence to handle all pre-game issues (Niggles, Handicap Table, Speical Card Drawing, Weather, Gate, and the coin flip to see who goes first). If you draw any cards that have the new 4th edition verbiage "Play this card immediately", I will play it for you if its a no-brainer, or e-mail you and ask if you want to play it or not before the match starts. This way you and your opponent will be sent the game log ready to play the first turn with both team rosters loaded and ready for the first kick-off.
- I will NOT tolerate cheaters in my league. There are MANY ways of discovering if you cheat in a PBeM game thanks to Ronald's software. If you are thought to be cheating, your team and your e-mail address will be permanently barred from the MBBL2 (yah, yah, I know you can go get 100 more new e-mail addresses in an hour, but the bottom line is PLEASE do not join the MBBL2 if you plan on cheating.)
- RELOADING: The newest version of the PBeM software is VERY VERY good at finding cheaters. Reloading will not be tolerated as part of being in the MBBL2, you must be playing on a stable computer or network. If you reload the game, you must document it in the log file or the game will be AUTOMATICALLY a concession victory for your opponent (NO EXCEPTIONS). System crash may happen, but since I cannot tell the difference between crashes and cheating, the following rules apply. For your first reload, your opponent gets a free re-roll. For your second reload, your opponent gets a free TD (randomly assigen the SPPs). If you have to reload a third time, you automatically conceed the game to your opponent. The only exception will be if I tell you to reload or your opponent writes into the log that he agreeed to it. This is not just one or two free cheats per a game, coaches who show habits of even a single reload during each match will kicked out of the league before the season is over.
- REWINDING: The PBeM tool has the ability to rewind the game log so that you can review your opponent's turn. Doing this is HIGHLY encouraged in the play format to avoid errors during game play. However included with the Rewind option is also the ability to take back an action or series of actions. The bottom line: DO NOT EVER use the rewind function to erase a part of the game log unless you have either your opponent's approval (with me copied on that email) or my approval. Undocumented or unapproved rewinds that delete part of the log will result in an automatic forfeit of the match.
The Software needed to play:
How does PBeM Blood Bowl work?:
- All games will be played via E-mail using Ronald Lokers's PBeM software. This software can be found at www.pbembb.com You can all the instructions for using the software there as well.
PLEASE NOTE: When you unzip this version of the software make sure that you check the use folder names and the overwrite existing files option on WinZip otherwise this version of the software will not work.
If all you need is the exe or ini files to update your software those can be found there as well.
PICTURES: If you have the system space for it, you can now add pictures to your games, create a directory in your PBeM directory called roster ... download these PBeM BB Images files from http://www.pbembb.com . You will need all three of the image files in order to play against any team in the MBBL2.
How to Join:
- Ronald's program tracks your turn in a log file (with a BBM extension). You zip up and e-mail this log file back and forth. When your opponent loads the log, the program adds his move to the end of the log. This is how you can play an entire game via e-mail. You MUST zip the file before e-mailing it as many mail servers will corrupt the BBM file.
- You have to really pay attention when playing via e-mail to not slow the game down since your opponent is not there to remind you. Currently Ronald's software does not handle every skill or situation. So you need to be aware of your opponent's team as much as yours. A PBeM game of Blood Bowl can go very smoothly, if you don't forget these things.
- Based on the changes to skills that I've added, there should be only four times you should have to e-mail your opponent with a question: 1 and 2)if he could use a player to Pass Block or Dump Off and you need him to do so if he is (to speed the game up if you have Pass Block or Dump Off players please try to let your opponent know how you will be playing them) 3)A player is injured (KO or worse) and you want one of your players to pass through the square that he would be in if your opponent used his apothecary, and 4) A Defender's Choice block result where the answer is not obvious. Please be aware of these situations.
- I've eliminated or changed most of the events that interrupt a player's turn from the game. Occasionally a special play card will make you have to back up a turn, but this should not be often as the 4th edition special play cards eliminated most of the turn interrupting cards.
- Mistakes happen, it can be easy to forgot a rule here and there. Don't be belligerent to your opponent if he makes a mistake. Just type into the log what the error was and e-mail it back to him. The four-week period should have enough time in it for these types of issues.
- Record the single Star Player Point that a Spellcaster gets every time he successfully casts a spell using the Other 1 SPP option, please.
- At the end of each game, MAKE SURE that one of the two players e-mails me the final log file along with ALL post game activity completed by using the post game sequence (press the whistle button).
The League Awards:
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com. With the following information:
- Your name
- Your e-mail address that you will be using for the league
- Your team roster with named players
- The Country that you live in
- Your password for protecting/hiding your special play cards from your opponent.
- One finished PBeM log of a match against a MBBL or MBBL2 coach ... to ask a coach for test match, I recommend using the PBeM forum of TalkBloodbowl.
- Special notes of team creation:
- If you are playing a Wild Cards team, the League Commissioner (myself) needs to make all Takis-A virus rolls for a player. I know that this will take a lot of fun out of having this team, but the potential for cheating with this team is too great to handle it otherwise.
- Using the same logic as the Wild Cards team, all Marauder random starting skill rolls will be made by the League Commissioner for the Chaos Warrior team. Sorry in advance if you don't like this.
- Upon joining I will automatically add your e-mail address to the MBBL2@yahoogroups.com mail group. This will enable you to receive league broadcast messages and ask questions to both myself and other league members in general. You can unsubscribe from this group at any time, but I don't recommend it as long as you are in the league.
- Finally I will be participating in my own league. I am a fanatic about honesty and hating cheaters. Any match that is played against me, I will put a couple post-it notes over the area of my screen that handles drawing the special play cards so that I will not be able to see your draws. I will NEVER use your password to find out what cards you have. Nuff said on that topic also.
Click here to find Ronald's HTML creator to help you build a roster for PBeM play.
- 1) The Savant awards
- The league (not division) leaders at the end of the 5 game season in Completions, Interceptions, Touchdowns, and Casualties will receive an MVP award and the team will receive a +1 to its Fan Factor. (no Savant awards for most MVPs or SPPs) (in case of a tie, the player with the most SPPs this season will win).
- 2) The College of Magic MVP award
- The player with the highest number of successful Castings during the season will receive this award (in case of a tie, the player with the most SPPs for the
season will win). The team will receive a +1 to its Fan Factor and the player will be given personal Inner Circle training by the College. The player may choose the Open Spell of his choice OR go up a level as a Spellcaster.
- 3) The Orcadis MVP award
- The team with the player with the most SPPs during the regular season will get a +1 to its fan factor (this player may also receive a Savant award, if he does not also get a Savant in addition to this award he will earn an MVP). In addition, this player will get an Orcadis advertising contract. Starting immediately until the end of the next regular league season, the team will get 20,000 gold for every increment of 5 star player points earned by this player during a match.
- 4) The Cubby award I
- The team that suffers the most casualties AND rolls over into next season will receive the Cubby award I. A local hospital feeling the team's pain either buys the team an apothecary or sends him to medical school (which will advance him one level for free). In addition, a local doctor joins the team, one player may be given a Personal Apothecary for free (but it will still impact team rating). In case of ties, the lowest Team Rating will win the award.
- 5) The Cubby award II
- The team that scores the lowest total of touchdowns+casualties during the league season will receive the Cubby award II. A fanatic loyal fan joins
the team for free. This player may be any position that the team could purchase (including allies and spellcasters). In addition, a former great Blood Bowl player is a fan of the team and takes a player under his wing to help the team out. One player on the teammay be given a Personal Trainer for free. In case of ties, the lowest team rating will win.
- 6) The Bloodweiser Blood Bowl Championship
- Note: I'm not using the Death Zone rules for finals. The winner of the league championship will get 250,000 gold. In addition, the team will receive a trophy re-roll for the next season. A tropy re-roll can be used like a normal re-roll OR the same turn as another re-roll, but will still not allow you to re-roll a roll more than once. Like a leader re-roll, you get
the trophy re-roll at the start of an overtime (unlike the team re-rolls that you do not get). The runner up team will receive 200,000 gold.
3rd place: 150,000, 4th: 100,000, 5th: 75,000, 6th: 50,000, 7th: 25,000
- 7) Scramble
- The winner of the Scramble will receive 150,000 and the runner-up will receive 100,000.
Return to the midgardbb.com main page