MBBL League Rules
Please note: the MBBL is a Play By E-mail league (PBeM) an average game requires about two to four weeks to play. Anyone wanting to join needs to play 2 PBeM matches with 2 different coaches from either the MBBL or MBBL2 leagues and turn it with all the information requested under joining the league below. You will need to wait until the next opening for your first match. Please also note that I only have room for a total of 40 teams in the MBBL before its hits it maximum size.
Click here to see the teams order of their rank with team and game status for both the current season 3 and lifetime record.
Click here to see the statistics for each race in the MBBL since we started the league.
Season 2 Results and teams.
Season 1 Results and teams.
The League Rules:
- The league will be using the LRB 2.0 edition rules. (Don't have the LRB 2.0 rules ... Click Here and then click on the link for Living Rule Book.)
- We DO play ONE overtime for regular matches in case of a tie. If still tied at the end of one overtime, the game is a tie.
- While we have no house rules, we ARE testing certain rules for the BBRC to help decide the future of Blood Bowl. The current rules being tested are:
- New teams and new roster compositions
- Revised Secret Weapon rules from BB Mag #5
- Piling On must be declared BEFORE the armour roll.
- On Pitch Take Root: Before taking an action with a player with this characteristic that is neither prone or stunned, roll
a D6. On a 2+, he is fine and may continue his action as normal. On a 1, he takes root into the pitch and
loses his action for this turn. In addition, for the rest of the drive, no actions may be taken with this
player and he has no Tackle Zone. If he had the ball, he'll drop it and it will scatter one square causing a
turnover if not caught by another member of your team.
- The PBeM changes for Blood Bowl are:
- You click your opponent's next turn marker at the end of your turn to indicate that you were done with your turn and avoid making the log a complete mess to review.
- When you set up for kick-off, you place the ball where you are kicking before your opponent sets up. If you want the location to be a secret place, the software has an option to hide the ball for kickoff.
- Side Step is changed. Side Step reads for PBeM: A player with this skill is so quick that he can frequently step out of the way of a block. As a result, he may completely ignore PUSH BACK results from the block dice, and a KNOCK DOWN result always knocks the player over in the square he started in (ya just clipped him). In addition, this means that the trait Frenzy will not work against this player as a Push Back result indicates that the blocker/blitzer missed with his attempt to hit the player.
- Shadowing is changed. Shadowing reads for PBeM: When an opposing player leaves the tackle zone of a player with Shadowing, the opposing coach must roll 2D6. A dice roll is successful if it is equal to or higher than (7 + Shadowing player's MA stat - opposing player's MA stat). On a successful result, the opposing player may Dodge as normal. On a failed result, the Shadowing player AUTOMATICALLY moves into the square vacated by the opposing player UNLESS 1) he is adjacent to the ball OR the ball carrier from either team and the moving player does not have the ball or 2) the Shadowing player is holding the ball.
- Diving Tackle is changed. Diving Tackle reads for PBeM: The player will AUTOMATICALLY use this skill against any opposing player leaving his tackle zone UNLESS 1) he is adjacent to the ball, 2) he is adjacent to the opposing ball carrier and the dodging opponent is not the ball carrier, 3) he is adjacent to his own team's ball carrier and the dodging opponent is not blitzing or 4) the Diving Tackle player is holding the ball. Using use this skill, place the Diving Tackle player prone in the square that the opposing player has just left. The opposing player must subtract -2 from his Dodge roll. If the Dodging player has Stand Firm and fails his Dodge roll, the Diving Tackle player is placed prone in his own square. If a player is attempting to leave the tackle zone of several players that have the Diving Tackle skill, then only one of the opposing players may make a Diving Tackle.
- Kick is changed. Its use it not optional it is always used for a Kickoff.
- Thrown Bombs cannot be intercepted.
- Ball and Chain players roll for exhaustion at the end of the turn.
- Because of the few games in a PBeM season, the cash awards for the championships is reduced: 150k for 1st, 100k for 2nd, 50k for 3rd.
- I plan on running this league for quite a while going forward and I currently plan on also allowing teams to continue to play and build from one league season to the next.
- The official teams for the league are listed up above. You have the standard 1,000,000 gold to build a rookie team and the maximum Fan Factor is 9 for a starting roster.
- What you do with your money is your business as it says in the Death Zone, but the League Commish will NOT enforce any deals where you get cheated by your opponent (ie if you give a loan, I will not enforce the other coach to pay it back).
The League Structure:
- There will one Division. Every coach can submit one team for the MBBL. The league will always try to have one of each of the official GW teams.
- Since this is a PBeM league, the season will be 5 four-week (20 business day) periods. Each four-week period will be one game. Teams will be assigned their opponent for the next four week period by the League Commissioner based on your current and lifetime league points along with your team rating.
- If you have to miss a four-week period let me know, if you will have to miss more than one during a season. Then you will be asked to retire from the league until you can more more regularly. A team must have played at least 4 games to make the top 4 teams during the 6th round.
- Any game not finished at the end of a four-week period will be called due to time. Whoever is in the lead will be the winner. Note: coaches who delay games to try to win by time being called will be removed from the league.
- I will be using the World Chess league Strength of Schedule point system to track the leaders. At the end of the five games, the top four teams in the league will play for playoff money. The number 1 seed will play the number 2 seed for the championship and seeds 3 and 4 will play for 3rd place. The League Champion team will be given a free Trophy Re-roll for next season and an amount of gold specified in the prizes below to use next season if the team returns.
- Any team not making the final four will play a normal match.
- If a player does not take his turn within two days of you sending your turn to him (without having notified you in advance that this would happen), please resend your turn to him along with a request for confirmation of receiving the file. If after one more day, you have not heard from your opponent, e-mail me at work (email@example.com). If after 48 hours of my trying to contact him, I have not heard from your opponent, the game will be forfeit and the player still playing will be given the victory ... in addition, you will be given all the items listed in the new BB2k1 concession rules. (See the BB2k1 rules for the other effects of a concession).
- In order to speed up the games and make sure that the pre-game stuff is handled confidentially, the League Commissioner will use an automated sequence to handle all pre-game issues (Niggles, Handicap Table, Weather, Gate, and the coin flip to see who goes first). This way you and your opponent will be sent the game log ready to play the first turn with both team rosters loaded and ready for the first kick-off.
- I will NOT tolerate cheaters in my league. There are MANY ways of discovering if you cheat in a PBeM game thanks to Ronald's software. If you are suspected of cheating and Roland confirms that you are, your team and your e-mail address will be permanently barred from the MBBL2 (yah, yah, I know you can go get 100 more new e-mail addresses in an hour, but the bottom line is PLEASE do not join the MBBL if you plan on cheating.)
- RELOADING: The newest version of the PBeM software is VERY VERY good at finding cheaters. Reloading will not be tolerated as part of being in the MBBL2, you must be playing on a stable computer or network. If you reload the game, you must document it in the log file or the game will be automatically a concession victory for your opponent. System crash may happen, but since I cannot tell the difference between crashes and cheating, the following rules apply. For your first reload, your opponent gets a free re-roll. For your second reload, your opponent gets a free TD (randomly assigen the SPPs). If you have to reload a third time, you automatically conceed the game to your opponent. The only exception will be if I tell you to reload or your opponent writes into the log that he agreeed to it. This is not just one or two free cheats per a game, coaches who show habits of even a single reload during each match will kicked out of the league before the season is over.
Special Note: If you want to REVIEW the turn and then quit, load the game review your opponent's turn and then type in the comment line ... "Reviewing File" ... then SAVE and then you can quit. You can do this as many times as you want. As long as you comment to the log and save before you quit after a review the game will never record a re-load for a review session.
- REWINDING: The PBeM tool has the ability to rewind the game log so that you can review your opponent's turn. Doing this is HIGHLY encouraged in the play format to avoid errors during game play. However included with the Rewind option is also the ability to take back an action or series of actions. The bottom line: DO NOT EVER use the rewind function to erase a part of the game log unless you have either your opponent's approval (with me copied on that email) or my approval. Undocumented or unapproved rewinds that delete part of the log will result in an automatic forfeit of the match.
The Software needed to play:
How does PBeM Blood Bowl work?:
- All games will be played via E-mail using Ronald Lokers's PBeM software. Click here to download beta version 2.3.
You can find all of Ronald's instructions for using the software here.
PLEASE NOTE: When you unzip this version of the software make sure that you check the use folder names and the overwrite existing files option on WinZip otherwise this version of the software will not work.
PICTURES: If you have the system space for it, you can now add pictures to your games, there is a picture zip file on http:/www.pbembb.com.
How to Join:
- Ronald's program tracks your turn in a log file (with a BBM extension). You zip up and e-mail this log file back and forth. When your opponent loads the log, the program adds his move to the end of the log. This is how you can play an entire game via e-mail. You MUST zip the file before e-mailing it as many mail servers will corrupt the BBM file.
- You have to really pay attention when playing via e-mail to not slow the game down since your opponent is not there to remind you. Currently Ronald's software does not handle every skill or situation. So you need to be aware of your opponent's team as much as yours. A PBeM game of Blood Bowl can go very smoothly, if you don't forget these things.
- Based on the changes to skills that I've added, there should be only four times you should have to e-mail your opponent with a question: 1 and 2)if he could use a player to Pass Block or Dump Off and you need him to do so if he is (to speed the game up if you have Pass Block or Dump Off players please try to let your opponent know how you will be playing them) 3)A player is injured (KO or worse) and you want one of your players to pass through the square that he would be in if your opponent used his apothecary, and 4) A Defender's Choice block result where the answer is not obvious. Please be aware of these situations.
- I've eliminated or changed most of the events that interrupt a player's turn from the game. Occasionally a special play card will make you have to back up a turn, but this should not be often as the 4th edition special play cards eliminated most of the turn interrupting cards.
- Mistakes happen, it can be easy to forgot a rule here and there. Don't be belligerent to your opponent if he makes a mistake. Just type into the log what the error was and e-mail it back to him. The four-week period should have enough time in it for these types of issues.
- At the end of each game, MAKE SURE that one of the two players e-mails me the final log file along with ALL post game activity completed by using the post game sequence (press the whistle button), and going through all the post-game items INCLUDING your new purchases. Thanks.
The League Awards:
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. With the following information:
- Your name
- Your e-mail address that you will be using for the league
- Your team name and roster with player names
- The Country that you live in
- Two PBeM log of matches against two different PBeM coaches ... to ask coaches for matches, I recommend using the PBeM forum of TalkBloodbowl.
- Upon joining I will automatically add your e-mail address to the MBBL_PBeM@yahoogroups.com mail group. This will enable you to receive league broadcast messages and ask questions to both myself and other league members in general. You can unsubscribe from this group at any time, but I don't recommend it as long as you are in the league.
- Finally I will be participating in my own league. I am a fanatic about honesty and hating cheaters. Any match that is played against me, I will put a couple post-it notes over the area of my screen that handles drawing the special play cards so that I will not be able to see your draws. I will NEVER use your password to find out what cards you have. Nuff said on that topic also.
Click here to download Team Tracker v2.52 to create or track your own team if you want.
- 150k for 1st place, 100k for 2nd place, 50k for 3rd place.
Return to the midgardbb.com main page